I clearly remember the day I had to leave The Netherlands. My wonderful five months of pure awesomeness, my life in a bubble without any obligations or duties – my Erasmus exchange semester was officially over!
How should I survive the next weeks or even months without my new friends, without stroopwaffels, without windmills and without the Dutch rain?
It was taff but somehow I managed to survive the first weeks of my post Erasmus depression. Here are some tips how to deal with your post Erasmus depression after you have left The Netherlands. Reading and laughing at your own risk!
- Keep in touch with your new Erasmus friends
- Hang out with your old friends – to resocialize ;)
- Make a collage of your Erasmus memories
- Ask in the local coffee shops if they sell Cannabis
- Eat some stroopwaffels
- Bring the cat of your neighbor to a café or restaurant and make sure the cat understands that this is now her new home.
- Go drinking in churches (Café Olivier)
- Go biking
- Tell everyone that peanut butter is actually a sort of cheese in the Netherlands (Pindakaas)
- Try to draw Miffy
- Show your Albert Hijn Bonuskaart in your local grocery store and convince the check-out girl that this card is valid and that you want some korting (reduction)
- Stand under the shower fully dressed to feel the Dutch rain (you might take your bike under the shower as well)
- Make some pancakes
- Try to find a place like a pub, a club, a restaurant etc. called Tivoli or Ronda and spend Thursday and Friday evenings there (only for people who have spent their exchange semester in Utrecht)
- Listen to some Dutch music and try to understand something
- Go partying at least three times a week
- Eat some Gouda (Picture: Juliana Pascoal)
- Think on a stone
- Wear some wooden clogs and tell all your friends that these are the only shoes Dutch people wear
- Google some pictures of windmills, print them on large pieces of paper and hang them in your room – then stare at them and take some pictures
- Eat your toast with hagelslag
- Wear something orange
- Plant some tulips
- Go back to where it all began: Book a flight to be in the Netherlands on King’s Day!
Do you have any further tips how to deal with your post Erasmus depression especially after leaving the Netherlands? I’m happy to hear them and I might add them to my list.
Hope you had fun reading and I wish you all the best to get through the next weeks and months without being in the Netherlands. I’m happy to go back for some days this Wednesday and later in April for King’s Day. Hope to see some of you awesome people there as well! Take care until then!
Pictures: Tanja Kühne